The Salons & Spas
An award-winning salon and spa, Bella has been a leader in Des Moines fashion world for over 30 years. We pride ourselves in offering a wide variety of modern salon and spa services for men, women, and children. We continually work to exceed our clients’ expectations by showing you the devotion you deserve.
Every stylist at Bella must complete a year and a half of performance-based education which helps them perfect their technical and people skills. Every day, Bella stylists work closely with each other to educate their clients about their hair and skin. All the while inspiring each other to be better service providers and individuals.
Since 2012, Bella has been named a three-time honoree of Salon Today’s Top 200 Salons in North America in the following categories:
- Compensation & Benefits
- Retention & Referrals
- Recruitment & Training.
Bella is honored to be one of Bumble&bumble’s Top 50 Salons in North America.
3 Locations to Better Serve You
Valley West (upper level of Valley West Mall near Younkers)
The biggest and loudest of the Bella Company, Bella Valley West has been serving customers since 1983. Our flagship salon and spa is upbeat and fast paced with a vibe all of its own. Plan on leaving this location looking and feeling your best with an extra hop in your step. Relax in one 17 salon chairs, six pedicure thrones, five manicure stations and two multi-purpose spa rooms at Valley West. Look forward to experiencing one of our blowout stations coming soon! Bella Valley West is open seven days a week and loves walk-in clients.
Johnston (North of I-35/80, West of 86th St)
Bella Johnston first opened its doors in 2006. With bright red floors, a wall of Southern facing windows in the salon and a dark, soothing spa & pedicure room, Bella Johnston is the perfect retreat to escape the busyness of the suburbs.
There are 10 salon chairs, three multi-purpose spa rooms, four pedicure thrones, four manicure stations, and one wax room at this location. Bella Johnston has also partnered with nurse practitioner, Dr. Susanne Landgrabe, to offer Botox and Restalin fillers. Consultations are always free and appointments with Susanne can be made on the first Friday or third Monday of every month.
Bella Johnston is open Monday-Saturday and loves walk-in clients!
Des Moines (42nd St, In The Shops at Roosevelt)
Kimberly and Joseph Heemstra purchased the Bella salons in 2007 with the mission of creating a closer knit family of stylists. They believe that in order to be a big family, you must treat everyone like family. Since purchasing the salons, they have worked diligently to provide the Bella team with the best work environment and best benefit package.
Kimberly has been a stylist at Bella working under the previous owners since 2000. She has traveled the United States from New York to Los Angeles and from Minneapolis to New Orleans. She has been an educator for several color companies, product companies, and as an owner of Bella seeking the best education possible to bring back to the Bella team in Iowa.
First and foremost, Kimberly is a stylist and is still active behind her chair. Between guest appointments she is busy training new stylists alongside the Bella Educational Team as well as running the day-to-day operations of a thriving salon.
Joe joined the Bella family after purchasing the company with Kimberly in 2007. Today he spends his days running the business side of the company with the help of the management team and building/maintaining the salons and spas. His main purpose every day is to make sure that everything works properly and that everyone is having fun while working towards their common goals.
Since the Heemstras took ownership, Bella has been named a three time honoree of Salon Today’s Top 200 Salons in North America in the categories of Compensation & Benefits, Retention & Referrals, and Recruitment & Training. From concept to implementation, all of these programs were produced under Joe & Kim’s creativity and leadership. They have also helped the team become one of Bumble&bumble’s Top 50 Salon’s in North America.
A note from the owners….
- “We would like to thank our friends, family, and community. You have all given so much to us. Without you, we wouldn’t have anything and Bella would be nothing. We truly believe that you can run the best business in the world, but if you don’t have a wonderful community like ours that loves the people that work inside your doors, your business will not survive. We hope to give a piece back to the wonderful community, family, and friends that have given so much to us. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your continued years of support.”
–Joseph & Kimberly Heemstra, owners, Bella Salons & Spa
In a normal year, Bella would donate roughly $10000 worth of services to different charities, high schools, after-prom parties, etc. However, recently we found that by hosting, creating, or partnering with other companies on events, Bella can turn a ‘$1 donation’ into a ‘$5 event’. Through hosting an event we can get others (clients/staff/family/friends) to donate their money as well. And in the end, we collectively raise more money and create more opportunities than what our ‘straight dollar donation’ could have ever done. Collectively, since 2012, Bella owners & employees have raised over $90,000 for several charities. The majority of that was donated to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
We do this through several different events that the salon sponsors and/or participates in throughout the year. Some of the events we came up with ourselves because we saw an opportunity for philanthropy. Other events have been occurring for years and Bella has been fortunate enough to join in. Some of these events include:
- Moes for Joe
- Bella has partnered with Mini of Des Moines, SpeckUSA, and Hubbell Realty – all locally owned businesses. The men grew moustaches and the women got moustache manicures through November in honor of Mr. Joe Mausser, a man community battling cancer. Every Thursday in November a couple Bella employees volunteered to give manicures (with a small moustache sticker on their nail) to anyone who wanted them at the Mini of Des Moines dealership.
- Over the last 3 years, Moes for Joe has raised $25,000.
- Bella Cares
- All Bella service providers donated 100% of their revenues and gave $35 haircuts (man or woman) for 4 hours on a Friday afternoon. Over $3500 was raised and donated to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS).
- Jeans Money
- The Tippy Cup Tournament
- Two, six-person teams composed of Bella employee’s husbands and boyfriends competed in the championship for the 5th Annual Tippy Cup Challenge. Over $1200 was raised.
- Totes for Hope-Handbag Exchange
- Dozens of handbag’s were donated by Bella girls and then re-sold with 100% of the profits going to LLS. Over $7500 was raised throughout this event.
- A Night of Live Music
- An annual party hosted by Bella Salon and Spa with live bands playing and dinner donated from local restaurants
- $2200 was raised for LLS.
Bella believes very deeply that it is important for all of us to give back to the community that gives so much to us. You can be the best salon and spa in the world, but if you don’t have a community that supports you and loves the people that work inside your doors, your salon or spa will not survive. The best advertising you can do is to donate. The best team building you can do is to volunteer together. And the best way to give back to your clients is by showing dedication to their causes. It’s who we are, it’s what we do. We are Bella.
- 1st Assembly of God
- AIDS Coalition
- Amanda the Panda
- American Diabetes Association
- Boys&Girls Club of Central Iowa
- Children and Families of Iowa
- Des Moines Christian School
- Dollars for Scholars
- Drake University
- Grand View College
- Hoover High School
- Iowa Clinic
- Iowa State University
- Iowa Youth Shelters
- Johnston High School
- March of Dimes
- Race for the Cure
- Red Dress Gala
- Rock Girl
- Roosevelt High School
- Sacred Heart Academy
- Salvation Army
- Special Olympics
- St Judes
- Urbandale High School
- Walnut Creek YMCA
- Waukee Chamber
- Waukee High School
- Women’s Council